ESB and Public Safety
The safety of the public in using our services is of huge importance to us. The key focus of our public safety programme concerns the risk management of people coming into contact with our network, plant and equipment.
Our on-going network refurbishment programme continues to have a significant and beneficial impact on public safety. While ESB is not responsible for public safety beyond the customer’s meter, we deliver regular public safety campaigns to alert the general public to the potential dangers posed by electricity.
Examples of ESB Public Safety Actions and Programmes
- We rigorously address the risks arising from our generation activities, in particular head and tail races associated with hydro-electric power stations.
- ESB’s plant and equipment is operated in line with international standards and legislation, including standards dealing with the risk of harm associated with electric and magnetic fields.
- Our ESB Networks’ Public Safety Plan (2013-2015) includes initiatives aimed at the “at risk” groups, including construction, farming and leisure.
- Public safety programmes for children, including school visits.
- Public safety information circulated through the National Customer Contact Centre with safety booklets and other content mailed in response to specific requests.
- Regular public safety campaigns to alert of the potential dangers posed by electricity.