Thursday 23 February 2017, 4.30pm
- While 40,000 customers have had their supply restored, many in worst impacted areas will be without power overnight
- 17,000 electricity customers currently without power due to over 1000 separate faults, which will reduce in the coming hours
- Stay Safe, Stay Clear of fallen electricity wires. Report any damage to network by calling 1850 372 999
ESB Networks has now restored power to over 40,000 customers who were left without electricity due to the damage caused by Storm Doris’s gale force winds.
ESB Networks' crews from around the country will continue to work until late into the evening to repair faults. However due to the large number of individual faults (over 1,000), a number of customers will be without power overnight.
These customers are located in pockets stretching from Castlebar and Sligo across to Drogheda/Dundalk, including parts of Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford and Cavan.
Crews will be out again from early tomorrow morning to continue the work of repairing the network and restoring power to all customers.
Crews based in areas of the country less impacted by the storm have travelled to assist colleagues in the most affected areas.
Customers without power can check for updates on when their supply is expected to be restored at @ESBNetworks.
Updates are also available on PowerCheck (www.esbpowercheck.ie). Users have been advised that due to the high volume of traffic currently on that site, we are experiencing some interruptions to this service. Customers should also listen to their local radio station for regular up-dates. ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999 or +353 21 2382410.
For faults that are not appearing on Powercheck, customers are asked to log a fault at ESB Networks or call 1850 372 999 or +353 21 2382410. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location.
Damage has been caused by high winds causing broken electricity lines and damage to poles and other equipment. Falling timber has also caused considerable damage to the electricity network.
Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks on 1850 372 999 or +353 21 2382410 and listen to recorded messages carefully.
- Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc.
- If electricity supply is lost leave one light switched on so you know when power has been restored
- Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames test smoke alarms with fresh batteries ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
Further information will be available at: www.esbnetworks.ie.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times will be available at: Powercheck (available on Android and IOS)
ESB Networks apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Media enquiries to:
ESB Press Office, 01 702 6009 / 087 255 7186