Access to an ESB eBike for a full day (between 6am and midnight) for €10.
ESB eBikes is a pilot rental initiative, with 112 bikes across 14 eHub charging stations in the suburbs of Dublin city. The programme will run in some of Dublin’s busiest commuter locations across South County Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Finglas and Fingal.
The aim of this initiative is to support the electrification of transport by offering an accessible and sustainable solution for people to travel around Dublin city. ESB eBikes is part of the European eHUBs project and is funded by Interreg NWE. We are working with mobility solution providers, Bleeper and Moby, and all four Local Authorities in Dublin.
Bleeper and Moby
Each eHub is operated by either Bleeper or Moby.
Bleeper’s ESB eBikes scheme is now available and accessible via the Bleeper App. The Moby scheme, which will be operational over the coming weeks, will be accessible via the ESB eBikes app.
The map below shows which eHubs are operated by each provider.
- If you are using a Bleeper eHub, please download the Bleeper App via this link.
- If you plan to use a Moby eHub, please download the ESB eBikes app when it becomes available.
For frequent users, €30/month gives you a discounted daily rate of €5 each day you use an eBike.
This is for you if you plan to use an eBike 7 times or more in 30 days. Unless cancelled, the monthly subscription renews every 30 days.
How do ESB eBikes work?
- The eBike apps help you to operate the eBike, they allow you to book an eBike and to start, pause and end your journey.
- Bleeper eHubs serve north and west Dublin. Download the Bleeper app and select the ESB eBikes scheme from the main menu.
- Moby eHubs serve south Dublin. Download the ESB eBikes app to start.
Register, Book and Pay
- You can rent a bike on arrival at a station but our advice is to register and book in advance to avoid any wait time.
- The app will find the closest eHub to you and prompt you to book.
- Chose the date, a payment plan and enter your payment details.
- You will need to return the bike back to the same station by midnight.
Unlock and Start
- When you arrive at the eHub the app will direct you to your designated bike number.
- After the bike is unlocked you can pull it away from the charging station. Make sure to release the kickstand if it is in use.
Pause and Secure
- If you’re taking a break for a few hours you will need to “Pause” your journey on the app. Please park and lock the bike at a suitable and safe location during your rental.
Dock, Lock and End
- To end your rental, push the front wheel into the station and follow the instructions on the app or on the bike on how to successfully end the journey.
- Take a photo of the bike showing it is securely locked.
- Return your ESB eBike back to the station you started from. The app will not allow you to end your journey at a different station.
- The ESB eBike must be back by midnight.
What are the price plan options?
There are two price plans currently available. If you want to use a bike for one day, you can pay our one day use price of €10. Alternatively, you can sign up to the monthly ESB eBike subscription plan. This membership comprises a monthly subscription fee of €30. On this subscription, you will benefit from a discounted rate of €5 each day you use the eBike during those 30 days.
How can I pay for ESB eBikes?
You can pay with any debit or credit cards from Visa or Mastercard. Payments are made directly through Stripe in the ESB eBikes app if using a Moby station, or Adyen in the Bleeper app if using a Bleeper station. All information is processed and stored in compliance with GDPR.
How can I view my usage?
As a registered customer, you can view your past journey details and usage frequency on the ‘My Trips History’ section of the ESB eBike app.
How can I change my account and payment details?
You can edit your details on the ‘My Account’ section of the ESB eBike app.
You are responsible for your own safety when using an ESB eBike. You are not insured by ESB to use ESB eBikes and you do so at your own risk. Please follow these helpful tips to make for a safer eBike experience.
- Respect other road users
- Always be patient with other road users and treat them with respect
- Always obey the rules of the road
- Obey road traffic signs and signals.
- Use hand signals
- Make your intentions clear to other road users
Check your bike
You should always check your bike before a cycle. Our partners carry out regular maintenance on the bikes however if you find any issues with the bike, contact the relevant customer service team. Following this, please select a different bike to ride.
Seat: Adjust the seat by releasing the seat clamp, raising or lowering the seat to a comfortable riding height, and resecuring the clamp.
Air pressure: Test the air pressure of the tyre and squeeze it with your hand. If a tyre flattens under pressure, select another bike.
Brakes: Squeeze the brakes before you ride. If you don’t feel any resistance, select a different bike.
Wheels: Give each wheel a spin to check that they spin freely.
Do I have to wear a helmet while using an ESB eBike?
While it is not mandatory to wear a helmet using an ESB eBike, we recommend that you do so for your own safety.