Working in partnership with Tesco Ireland
In 2017 Tesco Ireland committed to becoming a zero carbon retailer by 2050, aligning its ambitions with the Paris Climate Agreement. The Company has since committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2035. To help achieve its ambitious carbon reduction targets the Company partnered with ESB's Smart Energy Services to procure and install a variety of energy efficient upgrades, and provide ongoing energy monitoring and carbon accounting.
With 151 stores across Ireland, Tesco Ireland needed to take significant action to reduce its energy consumption, while maintaining service and comfort for colleagues and customers. The retailer also needed a way to track carbon savings, monitor return on investment and identify areas for further improvement on an ongoing basis.
“Our partnership with ESB's Smart Energy Services is helping us stay on-track to achieve our net zero carbon targets, and improve the customer experience without any disruption.”
– Ian Logan, Retail and Distribution Director, Tesco Ireland
Continuous monitoring and analysis of energy usage and carbon by the ESB Energy Management Hub ensures ongoing energy savings, while identifying opportunities for improvement.
The Energy Management Hub uses a cloud-based, state of the art remote monitoring system to capture energy usage by type, equipment performance, environmental data and carbon output across all metered properties.
- 25% reduction in electricity usage
- More than 45 million kWh of energy saved annually
- 50% reduction in CO2 emissions to date —12K tonnes annually
- Accurately budget and forecast energy consumption and carbon reduction
ESB’s Smart Energy Services has already delivered projects for more than 300 large businesses across Ireland and the UK. Our customers includes Medite Smartply, the Dublin Airport Authority, ABP and Ardagh Glass amongst many others. We have a launched a €75m fund to help large energy users decarbonise while making energy cost savings.
We work in partnership with large energy users to deliver sustainable solutions that dramatically reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.
Find out how your organisation can benefit from:
• Unparalleled expertise in the energy sector
• An international network of technology partners
• Advanced energy monitoring and analytics
• Project financing with no up-front investment required
• Innovative energy saving technologies