Back to Press Releases 30 December 2015
Update: ESB Networks repairs damage to electricity infrastructure following Storm Frank
ESB Networks crews have worked throughout the day to repair and make safe electricity networks damaged by Storm Frank and restore power to customers. Over 13,000 customers were without power at one stage following severe gusts this morning.
At this point, around 5,500 customers remain without power with over 300 individual faults. The main areas affected are:
• Wicklow 1200
• New ross 800
• Athlone 500
Other areas with smaller outages include Enniscorthy, Bandon, Portlaoise, Waterford, Dunmanway and Killarney.
ESB Networks will continue to work into late evening to restore power to remaining affected customers. Since Sunday 27th December, ESB Networks crews have restored supply to about 115,000 homes and businesses.
Please check for updates to restoration times at http://www.esbpowercheck.ie. If your fault is not displayed on Powercheck, please call ESB Networks at 1850 372 999.
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
ESB Networks apologises to customers for the loss of supply caused by Storm Frank.