- Crews have restored power to over 100,000 homes, farms and businesses over the course of today: 32,000 are currently without power supply
- High winds during daylight hours have hampered restoration efforts and have also caused further losses in supply
- We expect the majority of those without power at the moment to have supply restored tonight, though some families will be without power overnight
- High winds expected in the West and Northwest this evening, so further outages may occur
- Stay safe, stay clear of fallen electricity lines. Report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999
Monday 13 January 2020, Time: 5:50 pm
ESB Networks crews are working nationwide this evening to repair damage to the electricity network in the aftermath of Storm Brendan. Crews, working in areas where it is safe to do so, have restored power to over 100,000 homes, farms and businesses affected by power losses as a result of Storm Brendan. At its peak, 50,000 customers were without supply earlier this afternoon.
Approximately 32,000 customers remain without power this evening, with Wexford, Waterford and Kerry now the worst impacted areas. Counties Galway, Limerick, Cork, Mayo and Donegal were also impacted earlier this morning, and all areas of the country have seen some outages as a result of Storm Brendan.
The damage is mainly attributable to fallen trees on overhead lines as a result of the high winds. Crews will continue to carry out repairs into the evening, where and when it is safe to do so. With Met Éireann Orange level winds now once again being experienced in the Northwest, further outages may occur. Crews have made good progress restoring power along the Western seaboard this evening and we expect the majority of those 32,000 families and businesses without power to have their supply restored by tonight. Crews will deploy once again from before first light tomorrow to reconnect those without power overnight.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available on the PowerCheck App or www.powercheck.ie.
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen trees, wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they may be LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
If your fault is not logged please report it at here or on 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location. You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• Stay Safe, Stay Clear: Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.