- As at 8.30 pm, approximately 13,000 electricity customers are without power with counties along the Western and Northwestern Seaboard most affected
- Crews continuing to restore power to as many customers as possible tonight but regrettably many of those without power now will be without supply overnight
- We apologise for the disruption to family and commercial life these interruptions have caused
- For real-time updates and to report an outage, visit www.PowerCheck.ie
- Fallen wires pose a risk to life. Stay safe, stay clear and report any damage to us immediately on 1800 372 999
Wednesday, 8 December, 8.30 pm
ESB Networks crews are continuing work this evening to restore power to homes and businesses nationwide in the wake of Storm Barra. Around 13,000 customers remain without supply, down from around 60,000 customers earlier this morning.
While poor weather conditions have hampered repair works in some areas, ESB Networks’ crews will continue to work into the night doing everything they can to restore power to as many remaining customers as possible and crews will mobilise again at first light tomorrow.
Due to the severity of the damage caused by Storm Barra, access remains difficult and unfortunately, many of those remaining customers will be without power overnight and into tomorrow, with small pockets of customers potentially without power beyond that. ESB Networks has moved crews from less impacted areas of the country to assist colleagues in the most severely impacted areas to reconnect customers as fast as they safely can.
Following further strong winds last night and during today, counties along the western seaboard from Donegal to Kerry have been most impacted.
It is very important that any impacted customers who use electrically powered medical devices contact their healthcare professional to make alternative arrangements if necessary. We apologise for the disruption to family and commercial life these interruptions in electricity supply have caused.
With Storm Barra now subsiding and severe weather warnings coming to an end across the country, ESB Networks reminds the public of this Important Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1800 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location.
Customers without power can check for updates on when their power is expected to be reconnected and report an outage, at www.powercheck.ie. Customers can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
In addition to safety procedures associated with power restoration, crews continue to work under all national Covid-19 protocols with respect to hygiene, social distancing and PPE.
Media enquiries to: ESB Press Office, 087-2557186