Working in partnership with V&A Dundee
ESB's Smart Energy Services worked with V&A Dundee, Dundee City Council and Arup to explore energy solutions for the city’s new design museum.
"We are very pleased with ESB’s Smart Energy Services sustainable design and performance on V&A Dundee and very excited to have such a high tech, low energy, low carbon solution for all the building’s heating and cooling requirements. This really reflects the ethos of the building being a centre of excellence for design.”
- Mike Galloway, former Director of City Development, Dundee City Council
Geothermal and Air-sourced energy were determined as the most efficient options. The completed system is comprised of water-to-water heat pumps drawing low grade heating and cooling from a closed-loop bore hole array 200 feet below the site, as well as roof-mounted air-source heat pumps providing top up and back-up. A remote monitoring system ensures around the clock system optimisation, while offering support to on-site facilities staff.
- 100% of heating, cooling and hot water needs provided for
- 54% less carbon generated than traditional Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems
- 103% less energy used than traditional HVAC systems
- Recorded efficiencies of 397%
The Competitive Advantage
- Energy security and supply resilience
- Control over energy usage and costs
- Industry-leading sustainability
- Invisible system has no impact on the building’s appearance
- 100% electrical system which decarbonises as the national grid
- No reliance on fossil fuels
ESB’s Smart Energy Services has already delivered projects for more than 300 large businesses across Ireland and the UK. Our customers includes Medite Smartply, the Dublin Airport Authority, ABP and Ardagh Glass amongst many others. We have a launched a €75m fund to help large energy users decarbonise while making energy cost savings.
We work in partnership with large energy users to deliver sustainable solutions that dramatically reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.
Find out how your organisation can benefit from:
• Unparalleled expertise in the energy sector
• An international network of technology partners
• Advanced energy monitoring and analytics
• Project financing with no up-front investment required
• Innovative energy saving technologies