Issued: 4:30 pm, 26 February 2018 / Immediate
ESB Networks is preparing for the forecast of snow and freezing temperatures for this week issued by Met Éireann. Damage may occur to the electricity network and ESB Networks has a full emergency response in place to address any power outages.
The electricity network is built, and continually upgraded, to withstand events such as these, but extreme weather, heavy snowfalls and freezing temperatures can affect underground and overhead electricity cables and wires.
ESB Networks will have advised customers about planned outages taking place this week in order to carry out essential maintenance and repairs. We can confirm that all planned outages have been cancelled for this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and will be rescheduled at a later date.
SAFETY WARNING: Low Hanging or Fallen Wires:
Snow and ice can damage the electricity network by causing electricity wires to hang low or even fall. These wires will still be live and are extremely dangerous. Never ever approach or touch electricity network wires under any circumstances. Snow may also cause trees and branches to fall across or lean onto electricity lines. Please do not approach or touch any fallen wires or the tree or branch that they are touching. Please report these dangerous situations immediately by calling 1850 372 999.
In the event of power outages, crews from ESB Networks will be dispatched to the affected areas without electricity supply, making the electricity network safe and assessing the damage, so that they can restore power as quickly and effectively as possible. Heavy snows may impede access to damaged infrastructure, so outages may take longer than usual to repair.
ESB Networks would like to ask our customers to be prepared to be without electricity in case their area is hit:
• Have plenty of food and water available
• Have torches with spare batteries available
• Make sure your phone is charged and, if possible, have a phone charger at hand for your car
• Please check that elderly or vulnerable relatives and neighbours are prepared to be without electricity
• If you have electric gates, please check you know how to work them manually
Customers without power can check for updates on when their fault is expected to be repaired at www.esbpowercheck.ie or on the PowerCheck App for iPhone and Android devices.
If your fault is not logged please report it on our website or if you have no internet access please call 1850 372 999 or 0212382410 Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location, you can also log a fault via our phone system .Our twitter account @ESBNetworks will carry updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available at: www.esbpowercheck.ie with further information available at:
View ESB Networks' video on preparing for an outage during a storm at: