- Pat O’Doherty, Chief Executive of ESB, has served as Vice-President of Eurelectric, the European electricity association since May 2019
- Eurelectric represents the common interests of the electricity industry at pan-European level
2 December 2020
Pat O’Doherty, Chief Executive of ESB, has been appointed as President of Eurelectric, the association that represents the interests of the European electricity industry.
Mr. O’Doherty replaces outgoing Magnus Hall as President, having served as Vice-President since May 2019.
Eurelectric's mission is to contribute to the development and competitiveness of the electricity industry, to provide effective representation for the industry in public affairs and to promote the role of a low-carbon electricity mix in the advancement of society. It represents the interests of more than 3,500 energy companies and has 34 full members from 32 European countries.
During Mr O’Doherty’s time as president, Eurelectric will continue to focus on;
- Leading a timely transition to a carbon-neutral future, with electrification as the key driver
- Delivering the decarbonised electricity system of the future
- Increasing societal acceptance and involvement of citizens in the energy transition
Commenting on his appointment, Pat O’Doherty, Chief Executive of ESB, said: “It is a huge honour to represent the European electricity sector as President of Eurelectric. Through sustained investment and innovation, this sector has made great strides putting the European energy sector on a path to carbon neutrality by 2045. Together, we are working to address issues facing the industry while remaining focused on our vision of a competitive European economy, reliably powered by clean, carbon neutral energy.
I am very proud that ESB and the other members of the Electricity Association of Ireland (EAI) are at the forefront of the energy transition in Europe, and that Ireland is a leader in its ambition for renewable electricity deployment and electrification.”
The Union of the Electricity Industry - Eurelectric is the sector association which represents the common interests of the electricity industry at pan-European level, plus its affiliates and associates on several other continents. We currently have over 34 full members, representing the electricity industry in 32 European countries.